Monday

AFTERTHOUGHTS FROM TORAH STUDY

This week we finished the book of Deuteronomy ready to start the cycle over again. Moses is about to die and in a final farewell gives words of praise, assessment and destiny to each of the tribes of Israel before they cross the river Jordon. As the crossroads of three continents it is natural that this is a place of tension. Perhaps just so with a spiritual life there are tests about whether or not we can hold our hearts in the right place amid the turmoil of life.

In my life this seems like just where I’ve been standing this last week, on the cusp of entering a promised land. There has been so much beauty all around me, so much joy, bliss, so much gratitude, forgiveness, so much wisdom and understanding, so much peace and love and light. Feeling that unending love makes it so very real. The lesson from my time on the mountain of simply 1+1=1 with 1 being pure love stays with me. The experience that most of us go through our life with of separation of "us" "them" that 1+1=2 is an illusion, like a game. The recent adventure held me in this space for a 36 hour stretch and for the first time I was flying solo. It was quite a experience, one I am intending to repeat. It feels like I am developing the skill to enter and leave the game at will rather then being caught up in it as if it was reality. It feels extraordinarily empowering.

The Israelites journeyed forty year in a circle to come back pretty much to where they started yet they were radically changed. Just so for me. I felt myself like a souring bird. so much in love, so much embraced in light. On my walk after class I saw ahead of me a large house like a palace rather then a landscape. Why? What is there for me? What is there for us? I’ve felt like I am standing on a threshold. Perhaps it isn’t only me. The nature of our world at the moment would seem that this could be true on a global scale. Disease, war, natural disasters and unrecoverable degradation, energy supply and demand, global food supply grown with genetically modified seeds so they can’t naturally reproduce but have to be bought every year. Whether we are or we are entering an unprecedented world wide struggle to survive or not it doesn’t hurt to listen and be spiritually prepared.

In this Torah portion Moses tells each their blessing and their failing. Here today it is useful to consider; what are our blessings and where are our stumbling blocks so that when we cross over we as Benjamin will be “beloved of God” and as Joseph “blessed of God be his land… with the best from the ancient mountains” as from Mt Monadnock I remain in a the best state I’ve ever felt; a state of grace. It’s there for everyone.

No comments: