Thursday

Holy Obedience: From Worship to Witness

(The following was published onthe front page of
"The New England Friend" Spring 2006 issue
http://www.neym.org/NewEnglandFriend/index.html)

“And the Lord passed by. There was a great and mighty wind, splitting mountains and shattering rocks by the power of God, but the Lord wasn’t in the wind. After the wind – an earthquake. After the earthquake – fire. But the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire a still small voice.” (1 Ki 19:12) This was the experience of Elijah hearing and accepting God’s call. Its one thing to hear a voice. Its another to hear what is being asked and trust in the power. What did and does this voice ask? It did not say to Elijah that he should return and sit quietly in his cave or in my case a Friends Meeting simply connecting to the power of love and peace. He was told to make a huge nuisance of himself; charged with bringing the people to God or else they would perish. The prophets had intense struggles, they were ridiculed, attacked, many times having to flee for their lives. Prophetic mystery-ministry involves embracing the struggle. Not only what is seen in the outer world but the internal struggle as well.

Listening to “a still small voice” has been central to my being a spiritual person raised in a Quaker family. While the social concerns of Friends were important, I saw a sharp divide between those Friends who were peace activists and those who were mystics. I clearly and unequivocally identified with the latter. The first message I gave in a Meeting for Worship was in the beginning years of Framingham Monthly Meeting when we were meeting in peoples living rooms. I was twelve and simply said “God is Love”. This was so real to me. My spiritual obedience was and to a large part remains simply to love the Lord my God with all my heart with all my soul and with all my might and do my best to love my neighbor as myself. It hasn’t been easy and I fail much of the time but being obedient, being faithful means to make the attempt even with all our sometimes way too humanness.

Twenty four years later after attending George School and worshiping in Friends Meetings up and down the east coast I returned to the Friends Meeting in Yarmouth where as a child I worshiped with my family during the summer months. I had a opening and gave the second message of my life. It was essentially the same. God is in essence love and its our job to manifest this in the world. What is wanted from us is to do our part to build a world of peace. The ultimate wish for us is that we live in such a world; a world of harmony, faith, beauty and joy.

I heard that alleviating the suffering of the oppressed is vital - that we are joined together; as one suffers so do we all. I needed to take appropriate initiative and provide unconditionally support for others; to learn and model being an ally. The impossibility of achieving a world of peace when any group has to deal with discrimination and violence grew over the next 4 years into a conviction that the necessary healing can not take place until the oppressor and those who let hostility happen learn they have a spiritual disease. It is an unfelt, invisibly but soul obscuring attitude. Thus in 1990 began the Clothesline Project, to bear witness to violence against women.

I devoted myself to this issue for five years but the still small voice was not finished with me. There was a repeated call, an opening waiting for me to unlock my heart. When I did I had a very rude awakening about oppression. The perpetrator was me. I was steeped in a culture of racism and benefited without awareness of white privilege. It was time for me to embrace the struggle in a different and scary way. The witness became two fold, a witness in the world and a self witness.

For me, now at East Sandwich Friends, the journey from worship to witness travels as a circle. Witness leads back to worship, worship to witness, all embraced in a mantle of holy obedience. All I have to do is get out of the way. Too often I am trying to lead the Light into my activities rather then let the Light lead me. Being obedient means surrender to a particular spiritual path united through the heart, sustained through the breath, the voice. If ever there was a time to work together its now. Our time is short. We are joined together in Light; in oneness, to heal in order to fully connect with that which is eternal. Trust God’s power with gratitude and love. Be ready to change.
Rachel Carey-Harper

No comments: